Sunday, May 16, 2010

Old Gerbera Seeds?

I LOVE gerbera daisies and faithfully spend far too much money on them at the nursery every year. I usually dead head them as soon as they start looking not so fresh but was lazy last summer (summer of 2006) and let them go. To my surprise they seeded (I know DUH!). I collected all the seeds and put them in some envelopes to store over the winter and plant last spring inside. Well, it was just too hectic here and I never did get around to planting them. Will they still be good to plant next spring? And...was storing them in the envelopes ok, or should I have stored them differently?

Old Gerbera Seeds?
Storing the seeds in paper envelopes allows them to breathe. They may not all germinate but you should have plenty to grow. As long as they are kept in a dry environment. I have kept gerbera daisy seeds for 3 years and planted them with great results.


No comments:

Post a Comment