Saturday, May 22, 2010

How can I propagate amaryllis from the seed pod and Gerberas from seed?

"This University of Nebraska Web site on the Culture of Amaryllis has this to say about seed propagation:


http://www.ianr.unl.edu...





"Amaryllis can be propagated by seed, offsets or cuttage. Since seeds do not always produce plants similar to their parents, most named hybrids and selected strains are propagated by cuttage. Seed pods of amaryllis develop rapidly and are mature within 4 to 5 weeks after the flower has been pollinated. Pods should be picked as soon as they turn yellow and begin to break open. Seeds should be removed from the pod, allowed to dry for a few days and planted immediately. The seed bed should be partially shaded, and the media used for seed germination should be well drained. Following germination, increase the light until the plants are receiving full sunlight."





The link below has great instructions on how to propagate your amaryllis by seed, and pics on how to pollinate them yourself. You may be able to produce a completely different and wonderful variety yourself!





The information the other answerers gave on propagating Gerber Daisy was right on, and great info, so I'll leave it at that.


Happy Gardening!

How can I propagate amaryllis from the seed pod and Gerberas from seed?
After the pod is dry, crack it apart-- be prepared for lots and lots of seeds-- If you live in Florida or California-- choose a spot outside in the sun, mark it well and plant the seeds-- the seeds with the darkest brown seem to be stronger-- you'll see when you open the pod-- baby them along and you'll find out just what you have-- If you hand pollinate the bloom you can "mix" the colors-- and then you wait-- what seems to be forever.


I planted my seeds helter skelter-- just wanted to know if I could do it-- but I didn't have enough patience to wait 8 years!





I would handle the Gerberas like cone flower, zinnias or daisys and tick seed.





If the Gerberas seed heads will come apart in your hands-- do that over newspaper-- spread out the seed head- if there are seeds you'll be able to tell which is a seed-- seeds are fatter and usually darker than the dried petals-- the darker the seed the stronger-- at least that's been my experience.


good luck-- remember to mark where you put them!
Reply:Well, gerbera I cannot answer with out researching the Internet myself. I have tried to seed Amaryllis, I was almost 100% successful with the seeds germinating from pod to tiny plant.


I waited about 8 years for the new bulb to be mature enough to bloom for me. Oh well, I got nothing better to do...Kidding!


Now I am curious, I will have to research Gerbera. I always have bought plug trays from some one else! Thanks for the motivation to learn something!


No comments:

Post a Comment