Friday, November 18, 2011

Are Gerbera Daisies hardy flowers?

I live in Las Vegas. I don't really have a green thumb. I would, however, like to have some kind of potted flower on my Westward facing bedroom windowsill (inside) to brighten up my bedroom. These are my favorite flowers and I'd like to grow them in my room if it's possible.

Are Gerbera Daisies hardy flowers?
They should do just fine in your bedroom. They don't need to be hardy. Since Las Vegas is dry, you may need to spray them about once a day with a light mist of water.





When you buy them, ask the clerk for some appropriate water soluble fertilizer and follow the directions. You can usually just feed it at half strength unless it's actively flowering in which case you can give it the regular amount. But don't give it too much fertilizer or you'll kill it. If you don't have a green thumb, it may be best to go with an organic fertilizer. They're not as concentrated and are less prone to mistakes. But just go half strength about every two weeks and you'll be fine. Just read the label for how often to fertilize.





When they don't have enough water, Gerbera flowers will lean over. Just give it a little water and it will perk right up. When the flower starts to change colour and either, just clip it at the base with a clean pair of scissors and a new flower should come up to take its place in no time.





Don't be scared of trying out a potted plant. All they really need is some water, a little food, sunshine and some attention from you. I'm sure your plant will do great.
Reply:My gerberas are perennial Zone 8. They prefer full sun or a south facing window and being planted in the ground as opposed to potting them. Try coleus. Super easy and colorful - not frost tollerant, but you can overwinter them inside. Root in water for perpetual plants.





Try impatiens, begonias, ferns, for inside interest in your west window. Have fun.

horns

No comments:

Post a Comment